What is Acne?
The term acne is used to describe a condition which may include comedones (blackheads and whiteheads), red pimples, and even large nodules. The condition affects mainly the face, but may appear on the shoulders, back, chest, arms, and buttocks.
What causes Acne?
The cause starts with the sebaceous (oil) glands that connect to hair follicles. These glands of the skin secrete and oily material called sebum, which normally softens and lubricates the skin. The oil is excreted into the hair follicles which creates plugging of the hair follicles with dead skin cells. When there is no inflammation, this leads to closed comedones (whiteheads) or open comedones (blackheads). The black color is not due to dirt, but rather from chemical changes in the cells. Finally, a bacterium called Propionibacterium acnes thrives off of the sebum, overgrows, and attracts your body’s immune cells, leading to inflammation and red bumps or nodules.
At CCSD, we treat all types of acne and acne rosacea with a variety of customized medications and therapies.
- Blue Light Therapy kills off the acne causing bacteria and is a great adjunctive treatment.
- SilkPeel Microdermabrasions with salicylic acid clarifying solution help unplug pores and fade red spots.
- PCA Skin® peels can be used on face or body to treat acne and resolve the dark spots left behind.
- Hormones, especially during pregnancy or breastfeeding, can lead to a worsening of acne and there are several safe medications and treatments we use for these patients.
- If your acne breakouts are under control, but acne scaring is still an issue, then our SmartXide DOT laser therapy will help improve your skin’s texture.
Make an appointment today with our Board Certified Dermatologists to learn all about how you can combat acne and feel comfortable in your skin!